Huon Valley Regional Water Project
This scheme will deliver upgraded and expanded water supply infrastructure to service supply demands in the Huon Valley and ensure the water quality meets Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.
Under the State Government’s water and sewerage reforms, management and delivery of the proposed Huon Valley Regional Water Scheme transferred from the Huon Valley Council to Southern Water.
Benefits to the community
The scheme will provide numerous benefits throughout the Huon Valley including:
- Extending potable water to all main population centres including Franklin, Castle Forbes Bay, Geeveston and Cygnet.
- Enhancing water quality to meet Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.
- Increasing the reliability of water to homes and businesses in the region.
- Improving environmental outcomes by returning environmental flows to stressed catchment areas and degraded rivulets and creeks.
- Reducing reliance on multiple water sources by using a single sustainable and reliable water supply from the Huon River near Huonville.
The total cost of the project is $30 million.
Funding is being jointly provided by Southern Water and the Australian Government is providing funding of $12 million under the National Water Security Plan for Cities and Towns, a key component of Water for the Future.
To view a copy of our latest newsletter please click here.